Tuesday 16 October 2012

Innocent on the run Part 5.

A week after Brian had gone to sea, Ricky was still trailing around the docks looking for a berth. He spotted a bulk carrier that had recently arrived and he walked across the docks to her and stood at the bottom of the gangway. He looked up at her and decided to go aboard. Her name was Llanerin and she looked spotlessly clean. He climbed the gangway and made his way aft to where a group of officers were gathered talking together. The officer with four gold rings on the sleeves of his uniform jacket turned to Ricky. ‘Yes, young man. Can I help you?’ Ricky blurted out, ‘Excuse me Sir, but I’m looking for a job. Do you need a galley boy or a deck boy please?’ ‘Have you got a Seaman’s book?’ the Captain wanted to know. ‘No, Sir.’ Ricky admitted, 'I can't get a book until I go to sea.' The Captain was sympathetic, 'I know,' he agreed, 'the only other way is to go as an apprentice deck officer, or go to a Seaman's training school, but these methods take time.' 'Yes, sir,' Ricky agreed, `and I want to go to sea now. I've been trying to get away for ages, but no one seems able to help.' 'Well, I do need a deck boy. My last one was useless and I paid him off today. I've asked the Seamen’s Union for another one, but they tell me that there isn't another boy available. I can't employ you, as you haven't got a book, and I'd be in trouble with the Union if I did.' Ricky's heart sank. 'However,' the Captain continued, 'if you were to be at the pier head as we went out through the locks tonight, and we still didn't have a boy, then you could jump aboard as a last minute replacement.' Ricky’s spirits soared. At last his ambition would be realised. He nearly leaped for joy! He was elated! 'Great, he shouted, 'thanks very much Captain, I'll be there.' 'You must get permission from your parents first, though, and I want it in writing.' 'That's easy, ' Ricky replied 'they know how much I want to go to sea'. 'We'll be in the locks at ten o'clock.' Ricky rushed home to tell his family the good news. His mother was not at all pleased. She worried, as all mothers do, about their boys, the more so when they fly the nest for the first time. His Father was more sympathetic. 'Let him go,' he said. 'It's his chance to do something with himself. It will broaden his outlook and make a man of him.' To Ricky he said, 'I'll tell your boss where you've gone. Just be sensible and look after yourself.' His Mam turned away and lifted her apron to her streaming eyes. Copyright 2005 by Deric Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment